Welcome to the Northwestern University Comprehensive Center on Obesity (NCCO) website. Obesity is one of the major epidemics of our time. It threatens to lower, for the first time, the life expectancy of our next generation. The root causes are biological, evolutionary, psychological, sociological, economic, and political.
Formed in 2008, our center was created to contribute to solving this multifaceted problem through:
- Conducting clinical trials in obese populations
- Fostering fundamental research into the underlying causes of obesity
- Considering public policy issues and developing advocacy positions related to prevention
- Providing education in the causes and treatment of obesity to medical students, residents, and practicing physicians
- Sponsoring a robust clinical program for the treatment of obesity that will address specific subsets of the population, including obesity in pregnant women, minority groups, and children
The center serves as an intellectual focus and home for obesity related programs throughout our university system and our clinical partners.
We thank you for visiting us to learn more about the work we do. Please contact us with your questions and comments.
Lewis Landsberg, MD
Director, Northwestern University Comprehensive Center on Obesity (NCCO)